Saturday, July 28, 2007

Some Advice I Received

I sent out an email last week to everybody about me facing foreclosure with a link to this site. The secret is out. My friends, family, past co-workers and business contacts now know what I’m going through.

Here is some interesting advice I have received from some people (no mentioning names). My responses are below.

I’ve been through this so I know how you feel. Take care of the homelife. That more than anything will get you through this.

That’s so true. Life is about relationships. That’s why I chose to share my experience with everybody on this blog. The encouragement from friends and family has been very helpful.

My wife did give me the “I told you so” treatment initially. She thought I was taking foolish risks from the beginning. She was right, so I deserve to hear it. But after that first comment she has been very supportive of me. She now thinks I will get us out. She is not too worried.

Sometimes she has more confidence in me than I do. “I know you can just pull money out of your butt, you’ve done it before!” - she says. Well, its not as easy as it seems, I tell her.

If it looks like you are going to lose the houses, take the lead, don’t let others dictate terms to you or the recovery is very difficult. It is always better to chose an option, regardless of how bad they are than let someone else chose for you. Of ten bad options, they’ll always choose the one worst for you.

That’s right! Sticking my head in the sand and not doing anything is the worst thing when facing foreclosure. I did do a little bit of that initially. And yes, I do get emotional and overwhelmed. But I must be responsible and proactive.

If a person is not proactive, they can get taken advantage of. It’s true, there are “sharks” and “vultures” out there looking to feed on people facing foreclosure. They will use intimidation and criticism to talk you into giving your house away. Fortunately, that was rare in my case. Most people have been helpful.

The bigger problem is newbie foreclosure investors. Foreclosures is a hot business. People will read a book or go to a weekend seminar where they are promised millions in profits. I know this because I went to those seminars.

The seminars usually teach you just enough to be dangerous. Yes, you do need to start somewhere. However, most first-time investors like to pretend to be experienced. “Fake it till you make it” is their motto. I don’t think that’s right.

Fortunately, since I’m already savvy with real estate I have an advantage. I will not let some wanna-be investor or a wholesaler tie me up for 30-90 days if I feel they can’t perform.

I feel sorry for the majority of distressed sellers facing foreclosure. They are not educated and can easily become prey. That’s why I started this site. To help people facing foreclosure know their options and make informed decisions by learning from my experience.

After reading your blog, I think I would talk to a good bankruptcy attorney. You could possibly hold on to the home with equity and let the rest go back, as long as it is your primary residence. With the numbers you are posting, I don’t see any other way out. Good Luck.

Hmmm… I am hoping to avoid bankruptcy. I will have to do a shortsale on some of my mortgages. However, with unsecured debt (credit card and lines) I am still looking for a way to float it. Up until this month I have found ways to pay the minimum payments of about $3700. This month I am starting to fall behind. How long can I hold on?

Give up on trying to sell these properties to other investers or end users. You should just accept the fact that you screwed up and let the forclosures and BK’s go on your record. I suggest that you wake up tommorrow and sign the houses back over to the bank and hire a BK lawyer to help you out with your cash debts. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but it’s time you put your ego aside and think about your future instead of letting your past drag you down.

First, giving the property back to the bank is called deed-in-lieu of foreclosure. The bank saves some money/time by not having to go through the entire foreclosure process to take my house. Deed-in-lieu is better on my credit then a foreclosure. However, its worse then a shortsale. So I will keep trying to sell with or without a shortsale. If all else fails, I will give my keys to the bank.

Second, I don’t think being proactive and trying to avoid foreclosure and bankruptcy (and writing about it) is egotistical. Perhaps someone can say I am a little bit in denial about the severity of my situation. Maybe, we will see. I’m not going out with out a fight!

Go back and do what you’re good at for a while. Go get a good job or work for yourself in the IT world. It won’t be forever but at least it will allow you to pay the bills and have enough left over to have a decent life. Once you get yourself situated, I or someone else will be happy to overlook your forclosures and either rent or sell to you.

If I must I will go back to a job. I still have my website design and programming skills to fall back on. In fact, a very nice job offer was presented to me just a couple of weeks ago. Just in time. I am probably going to take it.

However, I am not going to quit the real estate business. Just because I fell down doesn’t mean I am a failure! Failure is a prerequisite of success. I will get rid of my non-performing properties, get back up on my feet, restructure, refocus, and try again. Failure is not an option!

I would strongly recommend that you read through Proverbs at this time… While there will be some pain to take, there is also opportunity for God to be glorified and even for your family to be blessed. The Lord might very well use a housing recession to humble a whole bunch of us who put their trust in chasing fantasies in the form of excess housing inflation (Prov. 28:19)

I read the verse above and the following one - very good advice! Try switching to different translations and cross-references to get the full meaning. God is telling me to not be frivolous and not to chase fantasies and be around vain people. But instead to be a responsible and diligent worker. Get-rich-quick mentality is very dangerous. I must be on guard again it.

16 Comments

  • I totally agree with the first comment. I have seen way to many relationships ruined over financial disasters. Just learn from this situation, grow and never stop fighting.

  • I lived your life during the early 1980’s, I was also a 24 year old investor caught in a bad economy. My only advice is to choose your two or three favourite properties, let the rest go with zero down financing and creative financing, and then hang on by hook or crook. Rent out rooms, rent out your garage, offer dance lessons, sell trinkets on EBay, have weekly garage sales, work two jobs, do whatever it takes. When things rebound you will find yourself in a good position. Best wishes-

  • “Fortunately, since IĆ¢€™m already savvy with real estate I have an advantage.”

    I cannot agree with you at all on your statement posted above.

    If you were truly savvy, you wouldn’t have lied about your income. The road to wealth is not sexy. It is hard work and takes research and hard assets. It means owning your own car - either used or new. It means living within or below your means. This results in being able to walk into your own home, look around and see that you own everything there.

    Unless you are immensely talented with a marketable gift, or were born into wealth (I was - 5 generations of old money), it takes about 2 -3 generations of working hard and getting a good education here in the U.S. to become middle or uppper-middle class. Lots of people (esp immigrants) refuse to accept this and get caught in all sorts of get-rich-quick schemes.

    Take care.

  • 4. Joey Joe Joe Junior Shapadoo
    September 21st, 2006 at 3:42 pm

    you HAVE to be kidding me.

    Given the situation you are in, how the HELL can you say that you are “savvy with real estate”???

    Wow, you really ARE 24, aren’t you?

  • You should merge your empire with Pine Box. If cash flow becomes an issue, you might try Night Manager at Taco Bell they do have a current opening.
    Warmest regards.

  • I say I’m “savvy” relatively speaking. I am glad that at least I know enough to understand foreclosure, shortsales, etc. An average homeowner who is in trouble is much worse off then I am because its easy for them to be taken advantage of. Some education does help.

  • How many other young real estate investors owning more than 1 property do you think there are out there?

    Although you should be more responsible, the lenders should also be.

    Sad.

  • You are knowledgable, not savvy. A little knowledge can be dangerous as you have clearly demonstrated. As for savvy, the word is derived from the latin sapere which means wise. I bought realestate when I was 21 and I can tell you when the market went up I thought I could do no wrong like you.

    I feel bad for you that you got sucked into this mania but reality is setting in for you. Face reality you are in way over your head. It looks to me like you are upside down on all your properties. Suck it up dude, face your bk and be an adult and go to work!

  • “Unless you are immensely talented with a marketable gift, or were born into wealth (I was - 5 generations of old money), it takes about 2 -3 generations of working hard and getting a good education here in the U.S. to become middle or uppper-middle class. Lots of people (esp immigrants) refuse to accept this and get caught in all sorts of get-rich-quick schemes.”

    Erm, 88% of millionaires are first time millionaires (not from “old money”) and the percentage of millionaire immigrants far exceeds the percentage of non-millionaire immigrants. You don’t need multiple generations of education to become financially secure. You just need to make smart decisions, work hard, and be employed in a profitable trade/line of business. (And smart decisions means staying out of debt (and living below your means, and saving, and giving, etc., etc.)

  • I got in trouble with RE in 1979 at the age of 29, along with other members of my family. It seemed liked the end of the world, and I hung on for many years trying to straighten things out, and in large part I was successful in doing so. Bankruptcy never entered my mind, but of course it was not as well known to the ordinary man on the street at the time, and had much more disastrous connotations back then.

    If you are already upside down in a market trending downward, there is no empire to save and your goal should be to break even or at least stop the bleeding. Your mindset shouldn’t be that your savvy investor who’s ready to keep on investing once you get this, perhaps, “learning experience”, behind you. Right about now, you should be thinking, “If I get out of this, never again.” (You’re 24, there will be plenty of time to be cocky again down the road.)

    You’re in deep doo-doo. Find a good Bankruptcy attorney who will work with you to develop a plan whereby the respective mortgagors will cooperate with you, and to the extent possible, absolve you, in return for your not dragging things out and costing them even more money.

    You know, even if you’re able to do short sales, your probably gonna get hit with income tax liability for the bank’s debt writeoffs. Bankruptcy might be inevitable. But in any event, get with that good attorney and find out.

    Don’t go it alone. You’re not as smart and savvy as you think you are–obviously.

    I feel sorry for your situation — but I nevertheless envy you: 24, Man, you can have a lot of good living after you get this mess straightened out and behind you.

    Good luck!

  • I’m going to offer you some advice. I’ve been an investor for many years, I’ve participated in booms and busts.

    What everyone knows, isnt worth knowing. Over the last several years everyone knew that real estate only goes up. I sold my house 2 1/2 years ago and I’m currently renting.

    All investors buy something when nobody wants it. In other words they buy it cheap. Always sell it when everyone wants it. Its as simple as that.

    As for your case, I have a feeling this bust will be much bigger and go on much longer than anyone anticipates. Not everyone will be rewarded. Since I believe you bought at the top of the market, prices could decline 50% from these levels. How do I know? Real Estate always returns to the mean, at which it takes to rent out the property. Some day you’ll be able to rent the house for what you pay for it and perhaps you’ll be able to buy it cheaper than rent. When that happens it will be time for real estate.
    Remember some people are waiting for yahoo to return to $400.00 a share.

    Going bankrupt is not all that bad, and many people have done that. One really big mistake you made is, when you became a real estate investor you should have formed an LLC. That way your company could have failed and not your good name.

    Your going to learn a great many lessons, but with some good fortune you will live a good long time and learn about investing in all asset classes. Remember those first three things I mentioned and you will do well in all things.

  • Bob C., I appreciate your comments. You speak the truth.

  • Casey, the ONLY way you should ever get back into real estate investing is if you erase from your mind everything you’ve learned about it thus far. I have been successful with real estate, but I never once attended a seminar or read a book on real estate investing. I simply used common sense: Buy low (and that means low compared to the current market), rent for cash flow, then sell at a fair price so that the next guy doesn’t get screwed.

    All this talk about “short sales”, “wrap mortgages”, “deed-in-lieu”, and other “savvy investor” terms frankly makes my stomach turn. Do you realize those terms ALL have negative connotations?

    Your future deals need to be CLEAN, with legitimate, conservative mortgages (where you actually have to put some money down) and sound fundamentals that apply to all investments, not just real estate.

    And don’t ever count on real estate investing as a full time job, at least when you’re just getting started. It’s a great way to supplement your income, but for heaven’s sakes, get a regular job with regular income so you know you can support your family no matter what. STOP YOUR GET RICH QUICK MENTALITY. You’ve been poisoned by these so-called gurus you’ve been listening too.

  • I am going through the same thing also.

    Now, I received no less than 50-60 pieces of mail from people wanting to buy my house and strip my equity. I’ve worked 2-3 jobs simultaneously to stay afloat this long. However, I am not ashamed to believe that prayers are answered. I prayed and prayed for a miracle and a business associate opened the door for me to meet the great team of people I’m working with now.

    They are very knowledgeable people **who have been through the same thing** and know how to fight the aggressive banks and financial institutions to stay in their homes.

    Life’s circumstances happen to us all at one point or another and it’s nice to know that there is help available (from non sharks or greedy people) though you have to dig DEEP and pray HARD to find it.

    I’m happy to talk to anyone who is in this position and is seriously wanting to save their home.

    God bless,

    Advocate

  • Here is another consideration.
    A short sale or giving up your deed in lieue of forclosure can be considered a capital gain. The IRS might be notified by the Lender.

No comments: